Business Strategy Outperforms Marketing Execution Every Time
By: Pat Seroka
So many of us enjoyed the series Mad Men which followed the lives of ad execs in the 60s and 70s. We watched the really creative ads carefully emerge from leather pizza cases and propped up on board room tables to the ooohs and aaaahs of the client’s exec team.
Advertising has evolved dramatically just as the two-martini lunch faded away. However, not all ad agencies have fully embraced all the technology available today and still rely on playing the creative card in wooing clients.
Today, be sure YOUR marketing partner is a sophisticated business strategist in addition to being a creative guru.
Along the pathway to creating effective marketing campaigns you must select the right marketing tools and the best marketing venues to reach and influence your ideal prospects and ensure they are receptive to your outreach to them.
Here are just a few of the tools you need to consider before you spend those hard-fought marketing dollars to grow your business:
DEEP DIVE COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS
- How well do you REALLY know your competitors? Have you dug deep into their websites, value propositions, marketing messages, and more?
INTERNAL CULTURE AUDIT
- Ask five of YOUR employees what are the top benefits you offer to your clients. Bet you’ll be surprised at the different answers you’ll get. Try it.
- How is your company unique? Why should a prospect buy from you? Remember what Simon Sinek said, people don’t buy from you because of WHAT you do but rather because of WHY you do it. There is a process to uncover these gems of wisdom.
VOICE OF CLIENT RESEARCH
- WHY do your customers REALLY buy from you? And, conversely, WHY do they buy from your competitors? Don’t you think you need to know this before you spend marketing dollars?
BUYER PERSONA DEVELOPMENT
- Who are your buyers? More importantly, what is the profile of your best buyers – the ones who continue to buy more and are loyal? There are a lot of prospects out there, so how can you invest your time more efficiently?
These are just some of the many questions you need to answer BEFORE you reach out and market your company.
We’ll discuss more of these in my upcoming blogs. If there are specific topics you’d like me to address send me a note. I’d love to help you Turn Up Your Brand!